- Name : Kenneth E. Ellingwood, MD, Radiation Therapy Oncologist
- Undergraduate : Harding University
- Doctor of Medicine : University of Missouri
- Medical Internship & Residency Training : Therapeutic Radiology at the
University of Florida
- Professional Experience : University of Florida, Teaching Staff
of South Alabama, Teaching Staff
- Professional Certifications : American College of Therapeutic Radiology /
American Board of Radiology
- Professional Affiliations : Springhill Memorial Hospital
Dr. Ellingwood was born and raised in Fort Wayne, Indiana. He attended undergraduate school at
Harding University and medical school at the University of Missouri. He graduated from both
institutions with academic honors.
He completed his Residency in Therapeutic Radiology at the University of Florida and then served
three years as a member of the teaching staff. While there, he was awarded fellowships by the
American Cancer Society and the International Union Against Cancer.
Dr. Ellingwood moved to Mobile in 1979. He served as director of the University of South Alabama
Cancer Center from 1985-2005. He has authored and coauthored many publications and is a past
President of the Alabama Society of Radiation Oncology.
Dr. Ellingwood is an acknowledged expert in the treatment of head and neck cancer, breast cancer,
lung cancer, and prostate cancer.
Dr. Ellingwood has special expertise in advanced radiation therapy technologies including treatment
with 3-D Conformal Therapy, Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT), RapidArc Therapy and
Stereotactic Radiosurgery. He has been on the cutting edge of integrating Positron Emission
Tomography (PET/CT) imaging) into radiation therapy treatment planning for improved tumor target
acquisition which improves cure rates and reduces complications.